What is VPS hosting? Is it the right choice for your website? All you need to know about VPS hosting is shared in this article. So, let’s get started.
What is VPS hosting?
You might be familiar with web hosting. It is the service that offers a rented server to connect your website to the world of the internet. Various types of web hosting are available for the customers’ ease. One of them is VPS hosting.
VPS hosting also known as Virtual Private Server is the hosting service that provides a private space on the server with multiple users. It is not a shared hosting as you will get an independent space on a server with independent facilities.
What are the benefits of VPS hosting?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting has various benefits such as:
- Unlike shared hosting, it is secure.
- Dedicated server space is assigned for you
- Resources are dedicated thus your medium traffic websites will run smoothly.
- It is cheaper than shared hosting.
- You don’t need to buy dedicated hosting and pay for extra resources.
How does VPS hosting work?
The hosting providers place all the information of your website on the server (a physical computer). Whenever any visitor visits the website, the server sends the information through the internet and it is displayed live. In the case of VPS hosting, this physical server is partitioned among multiple users.
VPS is virtual as well as private thus you have your own dedicated server, OS, and software. Moreover, you have secure resources, space, memory, and disk space. Moreover, it is a low-cost server.
What are the types of VPS hosting?
There are two types of VPS hosting
- Unmanaged VPS hosting
- Managed VPS hosting
With Unmanaged VPS hosting, the hosting provider installs the hosting setup and afterward, you need to manage it yourself. It includes preparing backups, maintaining a server, monitoring security threats, fixing errors, configuring setups, etc.
Whereas, managed hosting is different as it offers complete managed services by IT professionals. The server is managed and the security is checked. Automated backups are prepared along with the up-gradation of servers.
What are the pros and cons?
- It is reliable and secure as compared to shared hosting.
- Server resources are dedicated and no fluctuation in resources is available.
- Problems on other websites using the same server will have no impact on yours.
- It offers complete privacy.
- Direct access to the server is available.
- Easy up-gradation to server plans is always open.
- Expensive as compared to shared hosting.
- It might be difficult for beginners to set up the VPS server, however you can learn from online tutorials.
- Security and vulnerabilities occur if the server is not managed properly.
When to upgrade the hosting plan?
So what is the right time to upgrade to a VPS hosting plan?
The answer to this query is that when your resources of shared hosting become limited then it is time to upgrade to VPS hosting. VPS hosting offers the qualities of both shared and dedicated hosting.
A shared server with all the features of dedicated hosting is all that you need to run a medium-traffic website effectively.
Moreover, the eCommerce website or online store requires a safe and secured website to keep the data and payment information private. VPS hosting is the best choice as it provides security and keeps the server private.
VPS hosting is a combination of shared and dedicated hosting. A dedicated server with effective privacy and dedicated resources are provided. Moreover, it is more secure, cheaper, and private. You can upgrade to VPS hosting and get better services and privacy. Both managed and unmanaged VPS hosting options are there, you can choose any of them according to the website needs.